Thinking about “smartening” your deadbolts? How getting a Kwikset’s 925 Kevo to deliver that much-needed home security? Operating for six decades now, leading lock megacorp Kwikset keeps on innovating with their slew of home automated products. Its latest innovation is the Kwikset 925 Kevo that delivers safety, security, quality, and convenience to homeowners. In fact, Kwikset lives by its slogan, “the best security is smart lock for your home”. Learn more about Kwikset and its 925 Kevo with our Kwikset 925 review.
Get to know the Kwikset 925 Kevo
Smartphone-controlled door locks are the latest tech additions to smarten a home. The Kwikset 925 Kevo allows you to use your smartphone to replace a traditional key for locking and unlocking your doors.
The Kwikset Kevo doesn’t appear much different from a normal deadbolt, but once it’s touched, the lock lights up providing a visual notification if a door has been locked or not. If you don’t have a smartphone, Kevo comes with a nifty keychain fob (included with a deadbolt) that enables you to tap your way inside. The fob, which is now available for purchase, is pre-enrolled, so there’s no need for any additional setup.
The Kevo comes with a mobile app that you can use for installing, setting up other features and options, sending, and deleting eKeys, as well as lets you view lock activity history. You can buy the mobile app at all Apple App Stores and Google Play for selected Android devices.
Another cool feature is that the device integrates comfort by working compatibly with your Nest account. Once you connect, you’ll be able to set your home temperature for each Nest mode. Modes include Cool, Heat, and Heat-Cool. When you lock your Kevo, you’ll get to set your Nest Thermostat to revert to “Away” temperatures that you indicated on your Nest Thermostat setup.
What’s more, the 925 Kevo provides eKeys, which are encrypted electronic keys. Using the Kevo app, you can enjoy the benefits of key management. You can send free, unlimited guest eKeys anytime, anywhere, pre-set time constraints for receivers, control the time when the eKey will be active, and delete or disable a user listed in the Kevo system. Kevo’s eKeys don’t expire, and you can reassign them from one person to the next.
Kevo is also exceptionally secure as it uses multiple levels of encryption to enhance mechanical and digital security. The lock contains patented SmartKey technology that’s tested against lock-picking, and other home security breaches.
Your phone battery dying is inevitable, but don’t worry. You can always use the keychain fob or a standard key to unlock the door. You can also sign into the app by using a friend or neighbor’s supported smartphone, and your eKeys will be promptly transferred to it.
All Kevo products are backed by comprehensive warranty programs. With a purchase of a Kwikset 925 Kevo product, you avail a lifetime mechanical and finish warranty. That is accompanied by a one-year electronic warranty against defects in material and workmanship.
Kwikset 925 Kevo Features
The Kwikset 925 Kevo package contains a deadbolt assembly, a Kevo fob, 4 AA batteries, SmartKey learn tool, a user manual, two standard keys, mounting hardware, and drilling template. Once the Kevo mobile app is downloaded, and your phone is set up to work with the lock, a free, bonus eKey is automatically added to your Kevo account. It doesn’t require power or an online connection, so it’s ideal to pair this with your other smart gadgets like your WiFi doorbells.
- Easy to install. All you require is a screwdriver and some time.
- Generates unlimited electronic keys.
- It works well with Android phones as well as Apple phones and Nest.
- The homeowner will receive continuous alerts regarding all the activity of the lock on the smartphone app.
- This door lock has a single cylinder and can be locked or unlocked with a key as well a turn button.
- In the case of an untoward incident, you can delete or reset keys from your smartphone app. You can also use the option of lost phone reset.
- The Kevo smart lock also has the feature of auto-calibration so that any unauthorized persons cannot enter the house.
- Kevo smart lock weighs 3.5 pounds
- It measures 10.4 X 5.8 X 3.6 inches.
- The average battery life is 8766 hours.
- The package contains Kevo smart lock, 4AA batteries, installation manual, user guide, two standard keys, two digital keys, latch, strike, Kevo interior, mounting tool, I fob key and drilling template.
- Lifetime warranty on mechanics and finish.
Below is a list of features, pros, and cons about the product:
- Easy to install
- Bump- and pick-proof
- Bluetooth enabled
- SmartKey Deadbolt Cylinder
- Sends eKeys via smartphone
- Mobile app convenience
- Touch-to-open technology
- One year electronic warranty
- The lock can be opened by one touch of your smartphone
- Receive continuous alerts.
- The Kevo smart lock looks sleek and stylish on the door.
- The installation guide and user manual are well detailed and easy to understand.
- Easily breakable lock cylinder
- Lock slow to react
- Occasional lagging
- Multiple calibrating attempts to get it right
- Limited device support
- Expensive price tag
- You will require keys if the battery is dead. The batteries require continuous monitoring.
- Many times the smartphone app crashes, and it does enable the homeowner to unlock the door.
- It is compatible only with few Android and Apple smartphones.
- The additional keys cost some money.
You can get the Kwikset 925 Kevo in three finishes: Satin Nickel, Venetian Bronze, and Polished Brass. Indeed, Kevo is fun, useful, fetching product from a company that has been creating and developing locks for 67 years. In this Kwikset 925 review, you learn that the device also goes great with a home that already uses Kwikset locks. You can check other smart locks reviews here.